The village’s main attraction is, without doubt, theChâteau de Laàs. Today, this comprises several points of interest:
- Two escape games
- The Château des Énigmes (Castle of Riddles) which offers the chance to experience an unforgettable adventure in the form of a great treasure hunt inspired by the famous cape and sword novel, “The Three Musketeers”. This concept, already found in two other castles, appears in the Top 10 theme parks as chosen by people in France (source: TripAdvisor). Over a period of almost three hours, you will be transformed into apprentice musketeers and have fun as you discover the park of the Château de Laàs and its outbuildings. You’ll need to draw on your skills of observation and deduction as well as your agility in order to complete the 27 tests you’ll face during this frantic journey. It will take you on a thrilling trip through the different landscaped gardens and scenery created by set designers and Nicolas Tabary, the artist behind Iznogoud.
- The estate’s stunning, French-style gardens which offer an uninterrupted view of the Gave d’Oloron. Visitors can walk through the century-old trees and go down to the banks where they will find huts, bamboo plantations and a Sylvan theatre. The walk continues in the orchard, through apple trees, peach trees and grapevines… The 12-hectare park also features an orangery and many little annexes.
• The Serbat Museum: The home, dating back to the 17th century, was purchased in 1946 by Mr Serbat and his wife. Mr Serbat, an archivist and paleographer, boasted an impressive fortune and decided to use the castle to house his collections and family souvenirs. There are tapestries, paintings, Sèvres porcelain, quality furniture… all unique pieces marked by a rare finesse, which continue to arouse the curiosity of thousands of visitors every year.
Accommodation and restaurants
- L’Auberge de la Fontaine, Place de l’Eglise: 8 rooms – Tel. 05-59-38-20-20 – http://www.aubergedelafontaine.net/
- Camping le Saint-Jacques, chemin du Moulin – camping and caravan sites, mobile home and chalet hire- Tel. 05-59-66-06-29 – https://www.campinglesaintjacques.fr/
- Le Gîte Jaureguiberry, in the village : 1 holiday rental with 3 bedrooms: 2 double beds and 2 single beds. Contact Gîtes de France 08-26-04-01-64 (€0.18/minute) – https://www.gites-de-france.com/fr/nouvelle-aquitaine/pyrenees-atlantiques/gite-jaureguiberry-g122072
- Chez Line et Jean-Pierre Biensan, Chemin du moulin: 1 holiday rental with 2 bedrooms: 2 double beds, 2 single bunk beds and 1 cot / 1 studio with 1 folding bed / Contact 05-59-38-59-62 or 06-84-96-10-93 – https://www.chambresdhotes.org/Detailed/6796.html
- Unusual accommodation: Cabins perched in the trees in the park of the Château de Laàs: https://www.cabanes-temps-suspendu.com/nos-cabanes/cabanes-couple/
• L’Auberge de la Fontaine, Place de l’Eglise: Tel. 05-59-38-20-20 – http://www.aubergedelafontaine.net/
LAAS VEGAS BOULEVARD
The Principality of Laàs unveiled its “Laàs Vegas Boulevard” in 2017: this is a path comprised of 35 stars, like on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. The stars pay homage to the celebrities who have participated in the Transhumances Musicales.
The commune enlisted the help of Agoracom to create the pathway. Thanks to the NFC technology with which the stars are equipped, the path allows visitors to relive the concerts through images while showcasing the village’s heritage.
There is a yearly competition in the form of a treasure hunt which takes visitors from star to star.
Since spring 2019, Laàs has been home to a “Terra Aventura” course, inspired by a global game named Geocaching. It’s a treasure hunt which takes place outside, using a GPS or a mobile app. There are riddles to solve, clues to find, treasures to seek… From stage to stage, the courses, which are a few kilometres long, allow people to discover the cultural gems of the area while having fun. It’s the ideal tourist activity to do with family and friends all year round, combining SPORT, with walks of different levels of difficulty, CULTURE, showcasing the richness and craftsmanship of Nouvelle-Aquitaine, and ADVENTURE!
The aim of the game is to find the geocaches… These are transparent cylindrical boxes hidden outdoors and containing a logbook, a gold-coloured book in which geocachers can leave a little note, and also Poï’z… Poï’z are Terra Aventura’s little emblematic characters and only show themselves to those curious enough to make the effort to go and find them… There are 29 types of Poï’z, which take the form of a badge inside the geocaches: 77% of players collect them!
A day in the principality (group deal)
The tourist office for Béarn des Gaves offers a day of discovery in the Principality for groups (maximum 80 people). This consists of a guided tour with a guide from the Principality, a visit to the Serbat Museum, a visit to the village and a locally-sourced lunch with wine and coffee at the Auberge de la Fontaine. There is also the option of a special visit of the castle dressed in costume, which allows access to the second floor which is usually closed to visitors (+€7 per person).